Friday 8 October 2010

About girls saying masculine words, first days at school, and long bus rides

 Hiya Luv:
the balmforth residence_my house for the first two weeks
Another week has passed in lovely Britain, and I have to say the weather was unusually warm and sunny...should probably not get used to it though ;)

Leeds Library

After coming back from a fun weekend in Oxford I started my first day at my second school. It took me hours to get there... I thought that 1 1/2 hrs would be enough to reach the school in time, but it turned out that it was not enough...it took me almost 2 hrs...not that I am normally late ;)

on my way to school at 6.40

Garforth Community College
Language Department
The first day was great fun, the MFL department is fab and my mentor teacher is such a darling. She warmly welcomed me showed me around and told me that I might only have to work 2 days a week - so that means I'll have a long weekend every second week, which is great!! So plenty of time to host visitors!
The school is really good, much less strict then the other school where I am not even allowed to go to the loo alone...(but that's probably because they have got the Local Authority in the house, which is checking their classes, discipline, etc. Apparently they did really bad last year so they face numerous observations throughout the year, which makes life a bit difficult...).

On my second day at school I got up at 5.45 to be at school at 8.40 and experienced my first French lesson in a primary school. The pupils were so cute. One of them was brave enough to ask me where I was from, and when I told them that I am from Austria they were whispering in excitement. Later on one of the girls asked me if I were from Australia [well yes, this is just stereotypical] and when I tried to explain them that I am from Austria it took them some time to realise what I mean...

They had one of their first French lessons and learned the difference between masculine and feminine words, then one of the girls wondered: "Are girls able to say masculine words" which was just hilarious.

Well apart from school I also went to uni which was good fun, met tons of new people and saw some great lectures...looking forward to these meetings on a Wednesday...

Apart from that, Kathrin (the Austrian FLA) and I decided to use the self-service cashier in Tesco...which turned out to be a real adventure...Well let me explain a bit: There are those machines where you can scan your purchased items and pay them, which means one does not depend cashiers. You can do this 24/7 and there is always a shopping assistant in the shop who helps you. He had to pop by thousands of times, as we had a hard time figuring out how the machine works...either we did not scan the products properly or we did not put down the bag,....embarrassing but fun as well...

Tesco - all about shopping



trying out the self-service machine
 Yesterday we had Austrian dinner with good wine, Kässpätzle, Apfelstrudel and Spanish starter as well as THE Austrian national anthem "I am from Austria" - was a fun and chilled evening...Alex, the Spanish teacher at Roundhay, even learned how to pronounce "Kaaaasspätzle" the "Upper Austrian way" ;).
Austrian Dinner
Well, now I am off to sport before getting ready to go to a Drag Performance in Leeds which should be fun.

Looking forward to hearing from you guys,
have a good one,

Michi

2 comments:

  1. Michi!!!!! Love reading u! I laughed a lot trying to imagine your 2 hour trip to school!!!!
    Wish you the best and I hope to visit you soon... maybe in december!
    Big hug!

    ReplyDelete
  2. hahah Schatzi!!!!! Ur the best - it's good to know people are reading my rambling. YAAAA tienes q venir, ya sabes q aquí tienes sitio, y sas' el lunes voy a mudarme en un apa más cerca del centro y ahí tengo muchísimo sitio!!!! así ya tienes q arreglar lo de la visa ;) muuuuaaa y un abrazo muy fuerte!!!

    ReplyDelete